Friday 20 July 2018

Öland Nudes II: Bareback Riders

This picture has been stuck in development since 2016, so, yay! Done!

As I continue to work on my nude pictures, I add variation in body types, skin tones, and other factors. This is intentional. I want a lot of variation.

At the same time, I am held back by my fear of botching it completely. I understand that my never-quite-sufficient skills dooms me to produce pictures that are a pale reflection of reality.

I keep trying, because that is the only way to suck less at it.

While I worked on this picture, the discussion in Photo Meetup in Gothenburg turned to pictorialism again. Sara Liljegren mentioned photographers like Don Hong-Oai and Barbara Cole. (Do click on the links. Both are very interesting photographers.)

The discussion got me thinking about the relationships between pictorialism, neo-pictorialism, and contemporary pictorialism. (I made the term "contemporary pictorialism" up, to describe what Barbara Cole is doing, and I try to do. Nevertheless, these are three distinctly different approaches to creating pictures.)

So, using the picture above as an example, I set about creating three different versions of it, based on the three different branches of pictorialism.

I'll blog about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment