Friday 24 May 2013

Crossing the Bridge - A Lesson in Patience


About a year ago I found the bridge you see in the picture, and immediately wanted to photograph it. I did, but the picture in the camera was nowhere near the picture in my mind. Over the past year, I have lost count of how many times I have tried to photograph that bridge. Each time, something was not quite right.

Yesterday, I went past the bridge again, and saw someone walking across. I was a bit too slow to get a good shot, but I knew what I had to do:

I was standing on another bridge. I bent down to get a low angle, positioned my camera between two bars in the railing, and waited...
...waited...
...waited...
...quite a long wait...
Finally, it paid off. Someone crossed the bridge, and I got the shot.

Patience is a virtue in photography. (So is impatience, but we'll save that for another day.) Most of the time, you don't have to wait a year.

Most of the time, if you can be patient for a few seconds extra, or a few minutes, it can be enough to get the shot. But, if a year is what it takes, then, give it a year. Just don't let it hold up the other things you want to do.

By the way, now that I know I can get a good shot of that bridge, I will of course have to figure out how to shoot a better one. Even if it takes another year...

No comments:

Post a Comment