Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Cyclops: Capturing the World Within


My son told me the picture above is the one he likes the most of all my photos. I must confess, it is one of my favorites too. It's a snapshot, without much regard to getting the background or the composition right. There was just this one moment, and I had to take the shot, or lose it.

The properties that make this a favorite shot for both my son and myself, are entirely subjective. The shot captures his active imagination and energy. 

If you knew him, you would know that there is a story behind what he is doing. We have told each other stories since he was old enough to speak. Together, we have met trolls, dragons, wizards, Galileo, Picasso, superheroes, and villains.

More than that, he is not a photography buff, but he does on occasion come up with an idea for a photo, like the one above, or when he wanted me to take photos of him flying, or when he becomes a director, and poses other people in front of my camera. And yes, he does it very well. I have no idea where he picked up how to pose a model, but he does it better than I do.

So, it is not just the photo itself, it is the back story and emotion imbued in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment