Wednesday 24 July 2019

King Kong IX: Protector - A different Angle (but Still Dirty)


This is the second storyboard for the Protector picture. Storyboards allow me to make see and fix problems, and try out various improvements before committing to a photo session.

In a blog post yesterday, I wrote about the importance of improving a picture through iteration. There were some things in the image I created that I wasn't entirely happy with, so I decided to make a new storyboard.

In the first version, the gorilla's arms obscured the legs, which made the animal look a bit strange. It wasn't a major problem, but it did warrant thinking about.

The first version of the storyboard had the camera much closer to the T-Rex, and the gorilla was seen from the front.
By moving the camera, and the arms, I could fix the problem. When I did that, unfortunately, the camera moved away from the T-Rex. The T-Rex was also outside the viewing angle of the camera.

I moved the T-Rex much closer to the gorilla, but unfortunately that positioned it even further from the camera. The picture still works, but the T-Rex does look smaller, which reduces the impact a bit.

On the other hand, I pushed the white balance even more to yellow, and I made a painted overlay with stronger colors, so the overall light looks a little bit better. I did increase the contrast even more than in the original picture, and made it a little bit brighter.

The ground is greener, and more uneven. I also changed the background, adding a mountain range behind the trees, and a sky with clouds.

I also added depth of field in order to blur both the foreground and background a little bit. In retrospect, adding saliva to the T-Rex mouth was maybe a little bit too much.

I can stop here, and use one or the other, or maybe both, storyboards during the photo session, or, I can make a third version. I haven't quite decided yet.

Be seeing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment